Southern Pacific 9010

Mechanical Work
Page 4

-- Update December 13, 2016 --

Injectors!!  This project has been at the top of our need-to-do list for quite some time and we recently were offered a set of rebuilt injectors from the Diesel Traction Group in the UK (http://www.westernchampion.co.uk/) at a reasonable price.   We were forced to replace our injectors because the originals were stuck from the years of sitting.

Ordering and paying for the replacements was very simple but getting them to the US proved to be quite a struggle.  Our crew member Rob made a 400 mile round trip from Plymouth to pick them up, carefully boxed them and arranged for shipment through UPS.  Rob packaged the injectors and some spare parts in 5 boxes so that each box would weigh under 50 pounds and not be too hard to handle.  Good old UPS managed to get 2 of the boxes delivered but 3 of them were rejected in the UK and not only were we not told why but we could not get a refund on the shipping!  Three of the boxes were returned to Rob who repackaged them and put one back in UPS.  This box sailed right through the system but we decided to try Fedex for the other two deliveries.  Fedex was superb and I had the two boxes as scheduled.


The injector is almost like a kit.  The parts are installed in a specific order in order to clamp it into the head and adjust the fuel flow.

Installing the injectors is unlike anything found on domestic US engines.   The process requires a number of very special Maybach tools, a lot of patience and a fair amount of time.  Here follows a few photos of the installation.

Part of the injector installation requires that the crankshaft be carefully barred over to a specific spot for each injector.  This was much easier to do without the #1 cardan shaft in place but requires two people, one to watch the degree wheel on the crankshaft and the other to bar the engine.  With everyone busy on other projects, I decided to let technology be my helper.  A video camera was focused on the degree indicator and its output was connected to a small DVD player.  I could now bar the engine and see the crankshaft position.  The dial indicator is used to adjust the screw on the end of the injector rocker arm and thus the injection timing.  With all the injectors timed, the cam box cover frames and fuel lines could go back on.

Once the injectors were in and timed, we installed the last of the new cardan shafts from The Welte-Group in Germany.  We owe a great deal to Mr. Egon Welte for his help with the project.  Dennis and Rich muscled the 975 pound shaft while I supervised and ran the fork lift.  Still to come are torquing the bolts and installing the shaft's safety straps.   The shaft and couplings will eventually be completely covered to conform to FRA regulations.

-- Update December 30, 2016 --
After torquing the coupling bolts, the next operation on the cardan shaft was the installation of the safety straps.  These were made from 3/4" thick steel and formed by our friends at Melrose Metals.  At some point in the future, a cage will be made that will duplicate the one that was there originally.


For our final effort in the 2016 year, we ran the engine over using the power of the dynastarter.  The fuel pump was running as was the pre-heater and the compression relief valves were open.  It was a payment to ourselves for the hundreds of hours of preparation work that preceded this moment.  An attempt to start the engine is not too far in the future.  The following video is courtesy of the editing skills of Bob Zenk.

-- Update February 03, 2017 --
When we received the locomotive, the fuel gauge on the right side of the tank indicated about 1800 gallons while the one on the left was unreadable because the fuel had leaked into the gauge face.  The gauge on the right was an EMD component so we bought an identical gauge for the left.  We knew that the fuel had been in the tank since at least 1980 so decided to empty the tank and start fresh.  Once the tank was empty, the gauge on the right still indicated 1400 gallons!  Once removed, the gauge level arm proved to be about 6" too long and was trapped by a tank baffle.  The second photo was taken looking through the hole for the right hand gauge and looks across the tank.  The pipes seen are the suction lines for the engines and engine pre-heaters.  The 9010 now has two functional fuel gauges on the tank.

FRA regulations require that rotating apparatus be covered to protect employees.  The resilient coupling and #1 cardan shaft (rear engine) fall under this requirement.  There was one half of the coupling cover left on the rear engine and the same half remained on the front engine.  The half cover from the front engine was modified to become the left side for the rear coupling.   Design is progressing for the cardan shaft cover.


On January 17th, we attempted to start the rear engine.  We have an old, used set of batteries in the 9010 so we used jumper cables to access the batteries on another locomotive.  We were not successful, mainly because of the discovery of a very defective exhaust elbow on the rear turbocharger.  There is a short video of the event on Youtube at: Maybach start, first attempt.  
The video comments give more information about the trial.  After removing the elbow, the rear turbo was found to be frozen so we had to deal with that.  The elbow was repaired and another start attempt will take place soon.  The metal is quite brittle so was very difficult to weld.  I hope the welds hold!  If not, we will be digging into the front engine for a replacement.

-- Update February 18, 2017 --
On February 14, 2017 we tried for the second time to start the rear engine.  This time was much more successful!  There is a video of the start on Youtube at Maybach start, second attempt.  We were amazed at how smoothly the engine ran after being dormant for nearly 50 years.

Return To Main Page