Southern Pacific 9010
-- Update January 14, 2018 --
The 9010 was equipped with a hand brake located inside the cab, behind the fireman's seat. We do not know exactly why but in 1968, this mechanism was removed from the 9010 (and 4 other units) and a standard ratchet type brake installed on the right front end ahead of the cab (as seen on the 9107). The front end hand brake remained until the locomotives were scrapped. When our locomotive was converted into the Camera Car, the front hand brake had to go because there was no room for it beside the camera housing. The ratchet mechanism was moved to the left rear as seen in the 3rd photo. In order to have the brake on the rear end, some truck modifications were required but the truck we acquired from France did not have these added bits so, we decided that the locomotive needed have its original brake system restored.
This drawing illustrates the original KM hand brake system. It consisted of 4 main sections, the cab brake wheel stand, upper chain shaft, expansion shaft and the truck mounted mechanism. With all the gears and chains seen in this drawing, it is easy to speculate that the brake was a maintenance headache, being exposed to road dirt and dust as it was.
Bill, our project master machinist, decided to start with the truck mounted mechanism as it is the most complex. The mechanism requires left and right handed Ajax threaded rods so we found a 16,000 pound rated chain binder on Ebay and started with it. He bought a section of gear and created the assembly seen here. The opposing threaded rods will force two of the brake arms apart, applying the brakes on 3 wheels on the left side of the front truck.
The expansion shaft connects the truck mechanism to the lower chain shaft bracket. It needs to have universal joints on each end and be able to expand and contract with the pivoting of the truck.
There was nothing of the the lower chain shaft bracket other than the 4 bolt holes and a shadow of the plate. Using those dimensions and a photo of the bracket, Bill made the mounting plate and bolted it into place. By hanging a piece of chain from the upper chain shaft sprocket, he was able to determine where the lower bearing housing and sprocket needed to be. You may notice that the original bearing housing had a grease fitting and our replacement does not. This is because we are using two sealed ball bearings rather than the bronze sleeve bearing KM used. The same is true of both bearing housings on the upper chain shaft.
The Southern Pacific removed the upper chain shaft by torching off the bearing housings. For some reason they did not remove the bracket plates so we did and patched them to match the photos. After Bill made the bearing sleeves and gusset plates, everything was welded together to form the new brackets. He machined the shaft ends so the sprockets are keyed to the shaft and secured with aircraft nuts.
In other news, we now have 25 of the 36 radiator elements built, tested, installed and tested again. In addition, the top tank sight glasses that were made to be cosmetic have been re-made to be functional. Thanks to Bill and his expertise with our milling machine, they no longer leak. The red liquid seen through the sight glass is an anti-corrosive compound from Nalco that we use in our locomotives.
-- Update February 01, 2018 --
Work is progressing on the air compressor and its drive. We purchased a rebuild kit which includes gaskets, piston rings, inlet and outlet valves and bearings. Both cylinders were honed to clean them and provide a good surface for the new rings. Once the pistons, rods and cylinders were re-installed, the compressor was hoisted into the equipment room. The drive pulley assembly is shown in position relative to the compressor and the engine crankshaft coupling.
After locating the drive pulley assembly in line with the Maybach crankshaft and centered on the floor, I welded its feet to the floor. Bill insured that the two pulleys were parallel with each other and the grooves aligned so the belts would track correctly.
We acquired a drive shaft from a Spicer drive on a passenger car. It was originally used to drive the battery charging generator but will have a new life driving our compressor and hydraulic pump. Bill overhauled the shaft and is sending it out to be shortened and balanced. This will be the last major piece of the compressor saga. We subsequently discovered that the shaft would not balance because the internal splines were worn out. So, we bit the bullet and bought a new shaft but the shop was able to use the old flanges which eliminated any re-machining of our driving plates.
Meanwhile back in the compressor room, we had to move the compressor out of the way in order to weld its mounts to the floor. I welded some small pieces of square tubing next to the mounting feet in order to locate them. The compressor was moved, the floor prepared for welding and the compressor was re-positioned and checked for alignment. When all seemed good, I tack welded the mounts to the floor, unbolted the compressor from the mounts and moved the compressor out of the way. Then started a couple hours with the MIG, the mounts and the floor.
While the compressor was out of the way, I cleaned and painted the inside wall below the pair of shutters. Once all the welding was done, the compressor was put back, bolted it down to its mounts and the belts were tightened. A few days later the cylinder heads, valves, intercooler pipe assembly and unloaders were installed. Bill made an adapter plate for the engine crankshaft accessory drive coupling which we installed followed by the custom made drive shaft. Finally, the unloader control line was connected. All that is left now is connecting the air output line. Oh yes, and making nice legal covers for the belts and shafts. There is a short video of the compressor being turned by the engine HERE.
Return To Main Page