Southern Pacific 9010

Mechanical Work
Page 6


-- Update October 21, 2018 --

And it came to pass that the handbrake mechanism was finished and installed.  Bill's craftsmanship coupled with an original brake wheel from Germany and a lovely new label from Bob Zenk make quite a sight.

The last time we had the engine running, we noticed that the exhaust was spitting oil droplets.  Bill and I ran a compression test on the engine and found the cylinders reasonably equal except for number 15 which was around 150 psi less than the others.  Rob Fern had arrived for his annual working visit so we decided to remove the turbochargers and see if we could find where the oil was coming from.  Upon removing the rear turbo, we found the exhaust outlets from cylinders 9 and 12 to be oily and under the front turbo, number 10 was oily with number 7 just starting to show wetness.  This was bad enough but upon inspection of the turbos, we found that the compressor section of the front turbo is soaked with oil.  I decided that it should not be run as the oil from the exhaust was making a mess and it is likely that the problem would just get worse.  We will be rebuilding the engine in the near future because of leaking cylinder liner seals so while the oil situation is a setback, it means that we can concentrate on the cosmetic part of the restoration.  We have proved that the transmission is in good working order and the truck gear boxes run quietly.

-- Update May 19, 2019 --
In preparation for removing the engine, we had to build a stand on which to mount the 15,000 pound lump.  In reality, it would only weigh about 13,000 pounds due to the removal of the two turbos and the two aftercoolers.    With advice from our friends in the United Kingdom, the
Western Locomotive Assoc. and the Diesel Electric Preservation Group who have expertise in Maybach engines and diesel hydraulic locomotives, we designed the stand using mostly available scrap materials.  It is mounted on a pair of flanged wheeled axles rescued from a piece of maintenance-of-way equipment.  Once it was finished, Dee provided it with a good cleaning and a coat of zinc oxide paint.

Before removing the engine, we once again removed the turbochargers and bolted them to stands that Dennis made.  My grandson Matthew is taking a look at the top bearing area of the front turbo.  This is the one that is pumping oil into the intake system, an issue that will have to be rectified.

Another thing removed was the exhaust outlet assembly.  It has a "pan" around it that is supposed to catch rain water coming through the exhaust stack hole in the hood.  There originally was a hose or pipe that drained the pan but it was long gone.  The pan itself is in terrible shape being more rust and luck than actual metal.  A new pan will be fabricated before the stack is reinstalled.

Dennis and I had been spending time disconnecting motor mounts and other connections in preparation for the big lift.  And then came Saturday, May 18.  Ed, owner of Engineered Crane Services arrived promptly at 8am with his lovely 40ton hydraulic crane.  By 8:30, we were ready to do the lift.  After a couple of trial pulls to determine balance, the engine easily came out under the control of Bill's watchful eye.  Ed positioned it so we could bolt the engine mounting angle irons to the block and then Bill and Dennis set it into the stand while Dee and I took photos.   I was glad to see that the removal of the engine did not materially effect the coupler height of the 9010.

While the crane was on site, we re-installed the number 2 engine hood.  This marks the first time since September 30, 2014 that the major bodywork on the 9010 has been complete.

I was relieved to see that once the hood was in place, the lettering lined up properly.

Return To Main Page

Flag Counter