Southern Pacific 9010

Mechanical Work
Page 8
-- Update February 16, 2021 --
Bill set to work installing the piston crowns and crush rings on the right side of the block.  The crowns are equipped with the compression rings and the crush rings are what seal the heads to the block.  A crush ring can be seen in the last photo, surrounding the piston crown.  When all 8 cylinders were finished, Bill and I torqued the head bolts.





Once Bill finished, Karl installed the exhaust elbows on the right side.  Four cylinders on each side feed one turbocharger.  This is to say that cylinders 1, 2, 3,4 ,9 ,10 ,11 and 12 feed the rear turbo while cylinders 5, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, 15 and 16 feed the front turbo.  Each of the turbos only has 6 inlets on its bottom so 2 cylinders of each group are siamesed as shown by the last photo.

When Karl finished, Bill and I installed the right side cam box.  This is a very heavy cast assembly that is difficult to handle.  It must be settled into the correct place so that there is proper spacing between the injector lay shaft and the top of an injector.  We created a pair of adjusting plates that allowed proper positioning of the cam box (photo 3) Lacking the special measuring tool (photo 2), we simply installed an injector on each end of the engine and insured that there is some free movement between an injector gear and the lay shaft gear.

Next came injector installation which was covered in a much earlier update (mechanical 4), before we ran the engine.  One of the adjustments requires that the adjusting screw be turned as far out as possible which provides the starting point for the adjustment.  At this point, there should be some clearance between the adjusting screw and the short push rod that rides in the injector.  Cylinder #13 would not cooperate.  Photo # 1 is cylinder #13 and photo #2 is cylinder #15.  It can be seen that the screw on #15 is higher that the other one.  After much head scratching, it was determined that the end of the screw on #13 was broken and could not fit inside the rocker arm, thus preventing its movement upwards.  After the broken screw was extracted, it became clear that the cupped end of the screw had broken somehow.  

With all the previous work out of the way, we installed the injector frames, injector fuel lines and the intake manifold.  Finally, Bill and I moved the work platform to the left side of the engine where it first was in July of 2019 when engine disassembly began.

-- Update May 8, 2021 --
On Friday, May 5 we took the 9010 outside the shop for some activity. After removing the work platform that had served us so well, we removed the #2 engine hood and reattached it to its cart.  We then moved the 9010 out of the way, swung the hood aside and rolled the Maybach out of the shop.  It was attached to a fork lift for ease of movement and had a chain securing the engine frame to the fork lift.  Once the Maybach was out of the way, we put the hood cart back on the track and rolled the hood into the shop.  We then positioned the engine for the crane and lifted it out of its frame.  After removing the mounting angle irons, the steam cleaning began.  Bill took on this chore and proved that his decision to bring a change of clothes was a great idea.  He also steamed the 4 motor mounts and then the Maybach was put back in the frame and rolled back into the shop.  Dee almost immediately began cleaning and painting the block and reinstalling the motor mounts.  We had a great crew on the job consisting of yours truly, Bill, Gerry, Rich, Dennis, Dee, Karl and our expert crane operator (and General Manager) Steve.  My thanks go out to everyone.

Return To Main Page

Flag Counter