Southern Pacific 9010
Other Body Work
Page 5
-- Update May 01, 2014 --
Dick has been working diligently on the areas behind the front pilot and has them nearly ready to paint.  We sure appreciate his ability to use a needle gun hour after hour.




Bill caught me tightening a fitting on the pipe to the #1 compressor cooling line after we reinstalled it.  As usual, he was to be found applying the sanding block to primered sheet metal, this time it was the battery box doors.

I painted the battery box doors and 3 of the shutter screens that Rich had arranged to have sand blasted.  A couple of days later, we put the screens in place.  Rich and Gerry put the last of the walkway extension support angle irons in place and bolted them down.  All of these are now done on both sides of the 9010.

Another job that has been finished is the painting of the right side of the fuel tank.

Shortly after the fuel tank was painted, we completed the rest of the frame doors above it.  We will not be working on any more frame doors for a while as we have to work on the rear truck sand boxes.  

Note the "star" stenciled on the upper part of the left tank.   The star was used to indicate that the reservoir was drilled and thus not subject to the "hammer and hydro" test required every 736 days.  In 1969, the "hammer and hydro" rule was repealed for tanks of welded construction and a rule defining a drilling process was substituted. Our tanks are drilled but the star post dates our restoration time frame and thus will not be applied.

-- Update September 05, 2014 --
The main air reservoirs each have two drain systems, a manual valve and an automatic valve that is actuated by the compressor unloader.  Every time the air compressor stops pumping (by reaching 140 psi), air pressure is sent to the control port on the drain valve, forcing the valves to open and drain condensation from the tanks.  As you can see in the third photo, the valves were totally plugged.  Rich has been busy cleaning the rust and corrosion out of the bottom of the lower main air reservoir.  It appears that the tank has not been drained in many years, the result of which is the plugged drain valve noted.

An extraordinary number of hours were put into cleaning the air tanks with needle gun, wire brush and sand paper.  They were covered with road grime, engine oil and goodness knows what else.  But, eventually they were stripped, cleaned and painted.  The final job was re-installing the manual and automatic drains and the new water filler neck.  The left end of the tanks received a newly certified safety valve.

-- Update September 16, 2014 --
Bill has been hard at work on the last of the roof restoration.  The metal of this section had suffered some serious damage from the installation of the 'hump' radiator expansion tanks (and the removal of same) and had required significant welding repair.  After some serious filling, sanding and a couple of coats of primer and paint, it was done and the scaffolding could finally be removed.


While Dennis steadfastly refuses to allow one bit of old paint,  body filler, or rust  to remain on the hood doors or shutter assemblies, Rich has started working on the cab seats and is putting our bead blaster to good use.

-- Update October 03 , 2014 --
We decided that in order to do the cosmetic work on the rear short hood, it should be removed.  After all, it is only held on by 15 bolts and gravity.  Well, we tried to pick it up with the shop forklift and found that it would not budge.  It was decided that the hood was simply too heavy.  So, we moved the 9010 outside and used our "vintage" hydraulic crane to do the job.  With Rich on the controls, a slight lift was applied and with a "bang", one side of the hood came up.  At first I though we had sheared a hidden bolt but after a good look, we realized that there are 2 locating pins, one on each side, that were frozen in their holes.  After a good shake and use of a pry bar, the hood rose easily into the air and the 9010 was put back in the shop.  The nose was put on the shop floor where we picked it up with the fork lift and set it on stands in front of the 9010's rear coupler.  It hood is now attached to the rear hand rails with planks and clamps so it won't fall over.  We now have a good view of the rear end of the transmission and the process of rewiring the locomotive's rear end will be much easier.


-- Update November 26 , 2014 --
Paint stripping contiues.  We were hoping to find traces of the "9113" and the original "9010" on the short hood door but there are quite confusing layers of paint that have not been found elsewhere.  This will be investigated further as time permits.  Denny has taken on the rather large task of stripping the short hood while Mike is working on cooling hood shutter blades.  Also at the rear end, Bill has been doing the filler work on the last of the right side frame doors and panels.  And, the rear MU light fixture was removed, bead blasted, and had a new lens installed.  The plate will be reinstalled when its mounting area is ready for paint.



-- Update February 7, 2015 --
Bill and I finished the last of the frame doors on the right side.  The end piece by the steps will be painted when we are finished working in that area.

There were 4 areas on the short hood that needed replacement.  This is due to water getting between the internal frame structure and the external sheet metal.  The bad areas were cut out, cleaned, treated with acid and painted.  New metal was cut to size and welded into place.

Return To Main Page